There are positive and negative effects of cold and hot showers. Consider these, then we’re going to give you an interesting shower method that is catching on.
Cold shower pros:
- Calms itchy skin.
- Wakes you up.
- Increases circulation.
- Reduces muscle soreness post-workout.
- May boost weight loss.
- Contributes to glowing hair and skin.
Cold shower cons:
- Will make you colder if you are already cold.
- Slams your immune system if you are sick.
Hot shower pros:
- Relaxes and promotes good sleep.
- Provides relief from respiratory symptoms.
- Helps with blemishes.
- Promotes muscle relaxation.
Hot shower cons:
- May dry or irritate some types of skin.
- Can worsen some skin conditions like eczema.
- Causes itching.
- Increases blood pressure.
So what’s the tip? The Dr. Sebastian Kneipp method. Stand in the coldest possible water for one minute, then make the water as hot as you can handle for one minute, and repeat the process five times. The cold water constricts blood vessels forcing blood to the middle of the body, and the hot water opens the blood vessels forcing the blood to rush out again. This pumps blood completely through muscles and organs, aiding in regeneration and detoxification.
Experiment and see what works best for you, since you’re in the shower every day, you might as well add it to your skin routine.